It has been a theory of mine that we are in a New Golden Age of Superhero’s. The supreme success of 90% or more of the recent comic-book inspired films and TV shows supports this. Millions of viewers and record breaking openings of these season and films show that this is the time of superhero’s a new. But what does this mean for Cosplay?
It is my opinion that there have been some signs that Cosplay is going main stream and no long considered nerdy and geek only fare.
- Big Hero 6 – Made a fortune for Disney and the film was a mashup of american and Japanese comic culture showing a young generation a gateway into anima and specifically dressing up like superhero’s
- The return of Hero’s – Hero’s Reborn specifically mentioning cosplay in regards to Katana Girl
- Talking Dead the talk show about this weeks Walking Dead show. Also Walking Dead #1 cable show- Now on talking dead a weekly feature showing of not just fan art but fan COSPLAY of the characters from the show.
- YaYa Han Is bringing here own line of cosplay fabric to JoAnn Fabric Spring 2016 – nationwide every joanns will now feature a cosplay section. This news is HUGE a major retailer like Joanns making this pairing now means that they believe that the items will move and sell well and continue to do so lest they not have her to begin with.
- The increase in the yearly attendance to San Diego Comic Con and all of the major networks on tv and movie studios having pannels to announce new shows and films means they know where there demographic is and where the buzz will be to reach these people – Comic Con
- Local Big conventions having major increases in the traffic and attendance of there convention both comic and anima, or other group. A majority of those attending are participating in cosplay to some degree.
- The influx of new superhero tv shows on multiple networks and even on non networks like Netflix- These are major companies banking on the contuing success of the superhero and as such seeing it as a major market AKA mainstream – I’ve seen a lot of commision requests for the new Daredevil Suit-
When you add all these things together and also look at the major film slate between now and 2020 its all hero’s. Its all for those who love Hero’s. Its a group who is no longer a niche its a majority. Conventions are cool now. Cosplay is not dorky its also cool now. I MEAN COME ON FOLKS WHEN BEYONCE IS DRESSING UP LIKE STORM FROM THE COMICS FOR A BIRTHDAY PARTY- Yeah its mainstream baby!!!!
#8 BOOM Beyonce as Storm ( a solid storm too, respect)